Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Lately

With my cup of coffee, I am recovering from last night. Gabby threw up, Ben woke up for an extra feeding than normal, and I didn't get in the bed until near midnight anyway. Jason and I think Gabby might be allergic to fish. She threw up one time when we had tuna, and we ate salmon last night. I gave her the thinnest piece since it would be the most thoroughly cooked, and mine was cooked through as the thickest piece, soooo... it wasn't undercooked.

Two Saturdays ago, we were watching Lawrence Welk, as we usually do if we're home. They sang "God Bless America," and when they got to 'my home sweet home' Gabby pipes up - "Momma, that's like Rocky Top! That's the same song! The part 'sweet home' - that's the same song!" All my TN relatives are doing happy dances in their computer chairs.

A few days later, Gabby comes home from daycare and we are going through the "What did you do today?" routine, which includes "Did you play any games?" And here it is, folks... the day that I knew I had a kid, and not a toddler: "Ummm, no. My friends were playing their DSes, but they didn't let me play." ???! DS. As in Nintendo DS. Like, a Gameboy. She continued, "Brycen has a DS, and Summer has a DS, and Doodlebug has a DS because of her father." And furthermore, "It has buttons you push if you want to do something."

I love it when she stuns me! (Except if it's bad, like "I hit him back, because Mrs. Suzie tells me to.") It's a little scary that we aren't the only ones pouring things into her little head, but it's also really cool to see the person she is becoming.

On that transformation note, it is soooo nice to be figuring Ben out. As I put it to one friend, he fights sleep like a heavyweight champ. And I know how to help him go to sleep now! "YES!" says me. But during the day, I try to let him figure it out on his own. "NO!" screams Ben. And he likes to say that repetitively, for a good hour usually. Bless his heart. He'll probably scrape up his vocal chords and have that Rod Stewart/Bryan Adams kind of raspy-thing going. Girls like that, so he'll thank me one day for letting him cry this long.

Haha. Jason hates Rod Stewart and Bryan Adams.

5 comments:

  1. It's official. Your little girl is growing up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:29 PM

    I think doing anything to cause your child to sound like Rod Stewart borders on child abuse. Sincerely, Benjamin's dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, every girl love rod and bryan, so keep it up. plus, he knows you love him and he's figuring out he'll be okay even if he cries for a bit..or a bot (which is like, 100 times as long as a bit). I'll end this comment there before it gets even more insane.

    p.s. Gabby is so stinkin' cool!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. plus, the more cool things you add to your kid, the more unapproachable they are in high school and the less likely the are to date/be asked out by scummy people of the opposite sex. So bring on the unapproachability with that rod stewart bryan adams voice and keep those unwanted girlfriends away!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous5:18 PM

    I have no preference for or against that Rod-Bryan voice thing, but I wonder if it would still sound cool(or better)in the teen sass/rebel years?

    And for coolness -- it'll take a lot more than a "DS" to catch up to Gab. How many of her peers can not only sing RockyTop but recognize it as equal to the national anthem? Gotta stop now --I'm wearing out my computer dancing chair.

    ReplyDelete